Monday, January 30, 2012

Interactivity #1: Technology as Autobiography.

-The three most influential communication technologies in my life up to this point are:

  1. My Macbook
  2. My Blackberry
  3. My ipod
-Based on the "Olivia Story," it shows us how Olivia is like most of the teenagers growing up today. Even though she does not have a personal computer of her own or at her home, she still has access to a computer and Internet through places like school and her friends house. Olivia has her own Myspace page, a cell phone, and an ipod. Olivia is very attached to her cellphone and ipod and says how she doesn't go anywhere without them. Like most students in urban districts in NJ, they don't have "luxuries" like computers, internet and some cellular phones. Olivia is very interested in learning new information and new things about technology and the computer. She also teaches herself new things on the computer, and how to do things her teacher may not be able to. It is important for me, as a future educator, to know about Olivia's relationship and usage of technology (just like I will know for my future students) because it shows me from her perspective how much she can advance and learn from technology and also how much she uses her technology. Olivia is a prime example of how much technology draws in the students of her generation and how quickly they learn it. By incorporating technology in the classroom it gives the students a chance to use something they love and excel on, while grabbing their attention from an educators standpoint. 


-In the "Learning to Change, Changing to Learn" video, the students use technology for things like:
  • music
  • film 
  • gaming
  • twitter
  • reading/writing
  • music
  • pictures
  • social networking
Along with several other things.


1. My Macbook:
      I use my laptop all of the time. I am on it checking e-mails, doing homework, doing research, and for leisure. My Macbook helps me learn new information by simply typing something I want to know, or know more of into Google and reading articles, going to different sites that pop up, and looking at pictures of whatever I am searching. My Macbook helps me acquire new information quickly and easily, it helps me search through google to find information, or go to something like dictionary.com, looking at videos for music classes or leisure on youtube helps me learn new things also. I also can see the weather via online or catch up on the news. I can also go on my Facebook to learn about my friends or talk to them, and find out some news through peoples statuses (like they say, word of mouth definitely travels faster). 


2. My Blackberry:
      My cellphone is good for internet access on the go if I ever need it. I use it for my e-mails from school to receive them both to my cellphone and on my computer. By having my e-mails also sent to my cellphone, it allows me to see what I need to know or do sooner then if I was on my computer so I can always be on top of things like my assignments or things for work. I also use my cellphone to communicate with my family, friends, and coworkers (if I need to cover a shift for someone or what not) through text messaging and/or physically calling them. 


3. My ipod:
      My ipod keeps me happy because it has all of my music on it. My music allows me to kick back and relax, or have something to listen to on the go. I also listen to music for some music classes on it, and it helps me learn pieces or music in general better. 


For the most part, I use my macbook, cellphone and ipod just like the students in the videos. I use technology to get new information, to talk to friends, to do homework/assignments, to research, to play games, listen to music, and things of that nature just like the students in the videos. Also like the students in the video, I always have my cell phone on me, "like a third hand". I use my computer just like I stated before, which is just like the students in the video (I think they probably go on their computers way more then I do). I also listen to music a good amount, but not as much or as excessively as the students did in the video, I listen to it the most in my car. 



No comments:

Post a Comment