Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Interactivity #5



For my teacher interview, I interviewed a high school (grades 9-12) music teacher who teaches concert band and marching band. He was unaware of what both the NETS-S and the NETS-T. In my follow up e-mail I sent him the information of what they both were and I also put a link to a site that tells him what they are and for further information on it. After he was more familiar with both the NETS-T and NETS-S, he told me that he wasn’t sure why both his district and himself were unaware of these. He said how the school is not very technology savvy nor do they really utilize or encompass really any technology in it. As far as the music curriculum is concerned, the only technologies being utilized are a television, vhs/dvd player, CD player with surround sound, electronic tuners, Dr.Beat metronome, loud speakers, audio systems (used for marching band), and an intercom system. For performances, they use a microphone, soundboard and recording device used for prevention of feedback and to assist with clarity.
            He continued to tell me how he wasn’t sure if or when the school was going to integrate more technology in general in their school or programs. The teacher said how it’s hard to always incorporate technology in a music classroom, especially one for band and marching band. It would be easier to do so in a music technology class or a music appreciation class. He said some technology at times is good to have for a music class, but overall it’s hard to utilize it on a daily or constant basis, especially in his school with they programs they don’t have. The teacher I interviewed said how it would be more beneficial to incorporate technology in a homework setting, and how it is something he had thought of possibly doing prior to this year. Overall, he said how he would like to add more technology in his program eventually, he just isn’t sure when and if it would ever happen.
            After talking to this high school teacher, I wasn’t surprised that he hadn’t heard of NET-S or NET-T. I also wasn’t really surprised about any of his responses. Since I am very familiar of this district, I knew that this was going to be the type of response I would get. I also figured this because Professor Domine stated how most teachers are not trained or are unfamiliar with the NETS. Since I became more familiar with the NETS-S and NETS-T, it makes me want to reach out and try to get more schools in on it because technology is a very important part of education. I definitely think that more schools should familiarize themselves with the NETS.
            As a future educator, I would inform other teachers about NET-T and NET-S through email, speaking to my colleagues, talking to the principals and deans about it and furthering myself to talking to the board of education in the town to make them both familiar and hopefully proactive about NETS. 

Spreadsheet: 
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AkuZwWHCq6ZKdGo5OWJjZi1PdEd3ZkRhc2lfby0yRVE

No comments:

Post a Comment